Kale Chopped Salad with Maple-Almond Vinaigrette
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 4 cups lacinto kale, ribs removed and finely chopped (about 1 bunch)
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or 1/2 chopped fresh apple
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tablespoons creamy almond butter (or tahini)
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon real maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions for the Maple-Almond Vinaigrette:
- Whisk together almond butter (or tahini,) balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Microwave for 15-20 seconds to help get almond butter smooth, if necessary.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
Directions for the Kale Chopped Salad
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat
- Add half the shallots then fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain then repeat with remaining shallots.
- Sprinkle with salt then set aside.
- Trim ends off Brussels sprouts then remove outer leaves.
- Shave sprouts very thinly on a mandolin or slice very thinly with a knife, starting at the green end and stopping just before reaching the white, hard end. The thinner the better. Toss to separate shreds then remove any big pieces of tough white core.
- Combine shaved sprouts in a large bowl with kale, almonds, parmesan cheese, dried cranberries (or apples), crumbled bacon, and fried shallots
- Toss with Maple-Almond Vinaigrette and serve.