- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed, toasted
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 large egg, plus 1 large egg white
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Scant 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced, for serving
1. In a blender, pulse oats and flaxseed until ground into a coarsely textured flour. Add buckwheat flour, almond milk, egg, egg white, baking powder and salt and blend until well mixed. Blend in maple syrup and walnut oil.
2. Brush a griddle or well-seasoned cast-iron skillet with walnut oil and heat over medium-high heat. Spoon about 2 Tbsp. batter onto griddle, creating a 4-inch pancake. Repeat with more batter, evenly spacing pancakes so they don’t crowd griddle. Sprinkle top of pancakes with chopped walnuts, about 1/2 tsp. per pancake. Cook pancakes until a few holes appear on surface and bottoms are browned, about 3 minutes.
3. Using a spatula, carefully flip pancakes over and cook until opposite sides are golden brown, about 1 minute. Transfer pancakes to serving plates and repeat with remaining batter. Serve with additional maple syrup, if desired, and strawberries.